Abandoned Survival RPG
Started: 12-14-2014 --- Abandoned: 10-18-2015
- This abandoned project was meant to be a 3D realistic survival RPG.
- It was meant to combine my favorite elements of games like Rust, Arma, DayZ, Ark, Runescape, and Civilization.
- The intended main features of the game were the realistic survival elements, village building system, and technology tree.
- You were essentially supposed to be the one that started human civilization.
- As the leader of a tribe of other early humans, you would first accidentally learn farming. This would inevitably lead to the development of a
stationary food source, therefore starting civilization.
- This is the last half functional build I have of this project.
- In this build, there is basic inventory management, survival degradation, and some object interaction.
- Object interaction includes harvesting from boulders, cut tree down, shake tree for apples, and chest storage.
- If you look at the Player tab of the UI, you can see some of the features I started to implement.
- Game Engine: Unity (C#)
- 3D Modeling: Blender and 3DS Max
- Texturing: Paint.NET and Adobe Photoshop CS6
- Audio: Audacity
Reflection - Why Was This Abandoned?
- For the lack of experience I had, I was being far too ambitious with my ideas.
- I did not design things properly all three development cycles to allow for additional features or easy debugging, it was spaghetti code :/
- Frankly after restarting the second time I should have stopped wasting my time.
- A lot of the features that were implemented were soley based off of tutorials that were tweaked to fit the need of my game.
- One day, when I have more experience with game development I will try to reboot this game idea.
- However, I will make sure I have a solid basic game before adding too many features.
- Overall this was a good learning experience for planning mechanics/systems of a survival RPG and it taught me to not go crazy with adding features to
- This was also a far too ambitious idea to start on considering that I am not very good at 3D modeling and texturing.